Who can provide support for obtaining NI number, housing benefit and job seekers allowance?

  • Go to CLEAR to find out how to proceed; they should be the default position for SWVG
  • A client may wish to visit CLEAR alone. The SWVG visitor is likely to continue to provide emotional support and ensure that the client attends appointments, has remembered appointment timings, knows where to go etc.
  • When Leave to Remain is granted, a client can access all services to which members of the wider general public are entitled.
  • We need to start the process with the client; it can be taken on by whoever we refer the client to.
  • If no record of what you said to benefits office on certain date, can prove very difficult. Useful to confirm with email that made telephone call – usually speak to different person each time. Better if one agency works with the client on their case – difficult if lots of different places are acting on their behalf (e.g. social worker, mental health worker). Easier just to use one e.g. CLEAR. Worth checking who doing what and identifying gaps that CLEAR can cover.
  • National Insurance Numbers – some are issued straight away, others take some time. If going through the benefits system, a number is applied for on client’s behalf. If the client has a job, they would usually apply directly.
  • If  a client wants to enter full time education (not higher education), they should be able to apply for income support. (They are not available to work so can’t claim Job Seeker’s Allowance. As they have access to parental support, they are able to apply for Income Support).This is something that has worked for a few clients in the past.
  • Support with education is available up to the age of 20. If client is older than this, they must be studying for less than 12 hours per week. In terms of higher education, the client would be able to get a grant if they have been here for 3-4 years.