JOB TITLE: SWVG Group Secretary
REPORTS TO: The Secretary is responsible to the Trustees, specifically the Chair.
LOCATION: Flexible working from home (with attendance at Trustee meetings and other events as required)
HOURS: Part time, paid at 10 hours a week for 52 weeks a year equivalent.
SALARY: £15.14 per hour equivalent depending on experience on a self-employed basis.
Reasonable travel and expenses will be paid.
Southampton and Winchester Visitors Group (SWVG) is a small charity made up of volunteers who befriend and support refugees and adults seeking asylum in Southampton and the surrounding area. We do this by:
- Befriending and offering one-to-one support to asylum seekers and refugees;
- Offering modest financial assistance to those who are homeless and/or destitute;
- Giving one-to-one English teaching to people seeking asylum;
- Helping people to find and work with a solicitor to further their asylum claims;
- Providing activities for asylum seekers;
- Obtaining legal guidance for specific cases;
- Running a weekly drop-in centre in the city;
- Reaching out to churches, schools and community groups who can help refugees and asylum seekers;
- Campaigning for a fairer, more efficient asylum system in the UK.
We are seeking to appoint an experienced administrator for this key role within a growing charity team. SWVG is a volunteer-led Charitable Incorporated Organisation, with the Trustees providing the leadership. We currently have two paid members of staff – the Secretary and an Administrator – while much of the work is carried out by over 50 volunteers. The successful candidate will be an enthusiastic and a highly organised administrator with excellent interpersonal and communication skills, able to keep on top of the detail, identify new ways going forward and build on our previous success. This will be demonstrated by the ability to take the initiative and work both independently and as part of a team.
The Secretary works to provide administrative support in 4 main areas:
Recruitment and training
Provide administrative support to the recruitment and training of volunteers
Maintain organisational records
Obtain DBS checks and references for Visitors and teachers
Provide administrative support to Trustees’ meetings and other Trustee activities
Provide administrative support to the Trustees including maintaining up-to-date records with the Charity Commission and Companies House
Act as initial point of contact for SWVG
Manage communications including weekly notices
Provide administrative support to the Annual General Meeting
Provide administrative support to fundraising events
Other administrative tasks as appropriate
The successful candidate will need to undertake the full training programme that members currently attend.
Please apply in writing to Mark Courtice, SWVG Chair of Trustees, PO Box 1615, Southampton SO17 3WF. Email: email@example.com by noon on Friday 1st March 2024 with your CV and a covering letter sharing why you would like to join SWVG and what you believe you would bring to this exciting role.
KEY SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- A passion for and belief in the organisation’s aims to support asylum seekers;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills as well as flexibility and good time management with the ability to multi-task and prioritise;
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to build successful partnerships;
- Ability to work on your own initiative with attention to detail, and develop systems;
- Understanding of the important role of volunteers and providing the organisational underpinning to help them succeed;
- Self-motivated and able to work independently under pressure and to meet deadlines;
- Good organisational skills with attention to detail. Previous administrative experience would be essential;
- Proficiency in all aspects of Microsoft Word and Excel, Google Workspace and document sharing, but with a good understanding of GDPR constraints;
- Ability to coordinate and organise events;
- Discretion, reliability and trustworthiness with the ability to learn quickly and adapt;
- Ability to attend evening meetings and events.
Last Updated: 06/02/2024 – Next Update Due: